|Code Enforcement Officer|
Code Enforcement Officer
The Code Enforcement Office is located at the Village of Allegany Municipal Building at 106 East Main Street Allegany, NY. The Code Enforcement Officer can be contacted through the Clerks Office from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM at (716) 373-1460.
The code enforcement officer responsibility is to enforce the International Building and Fire Protection Code, the New York State Uniform Building and Fire Protection Code, local municipal building codes, zoning ordinances, and multiple residency law. Duties are performed under the general direction of the village board with leeway allowed for the use of independent judgmental carrying out the details of their work.
Typical work activities include:
- Reviews, checks, and passes on plans and specifications submitted with building permit applications for compliance with building and fire protection codes, zoning ordinance and applicable laws prior to issuing permits.
- Inspects buildings and structures in the process of construction or repair for compliance with approved plans and specifications and all requirements of applicable ordinances or laws.
- Issues building permits and furnishes the prescribed certificates of occupancy upon application.
- Explains the requirements of the local building codes, the local zoning ordinance, the International Building and Fire Code and other applicable laws to building contractors and to the general public.
- Provides for removal of illegal or unsafe conditions and secures the necessary safeguards during construction.
- Order unsafe conditions in existing structures to be removed and arranges for condemnation notices to owners and builders of improper or hazardous structures.
- Inspects existing buildings and structures to ensure their conformity with safety standards.
- Investigates complaints and assists in prosecuting violations of the building code and zoning ordinance.
- Maintains records of acts and decisions.
- Prepares periodic reports of buildings and structures erected or altered, of permits issued, of fees collected, and estimated costs of work covered by such permits, for presentation to the Village Board of Trustees.
- Attends basic and continuing in-service training courses
Other Links of Interest
Code Safety Activities for Kids
Kid's Page |
Emergency Exit Coloring Sheets -
#1 (pdf) |
Bedroom Safety Coloring Sheet (pdf) | Stairway Safety Coloring Sheet(pdf)
Fireplace Safety Coloring Sheet(pdf) | Heater Safety Coloring Sheet(pdf) | Bathtub Safety Coloring Sheet(pdf)
Electrical Safety Coloring Sheet(pdf) | Pool Safety Coloring Sheet(pdf) | Escape Route Coloring Sheet(pdf)
The above forms are in Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF) format. A free copy of Acrobat Reader may be downloaded by clicking on the following image: