Chief's Welcome Letter To St. Bonaventure University Students
Welcome to St. Bonaventure University and the community of Allegany, New York. During the course of the coming year you will probably be visiting the Village of Allegany for such reasons as shopping, recreation, to socialize with friends at area establishments and to spend time with students who live in the Village. In order that your time spent in the Village may be enjoyable and safe,
I would like to point out some Village of Allegany Local Laws and State of New York Laws that might affect you. You can also find out valuable information on our website at www.allegany.org.
- The speed limit in the Village is 30 MPH.
- The Village has an Open Container Law: On Village streets and public property you may not have in your possession an open cup, glass, bottle, can, or other container of any alcoholic beverage.
- The Village has a Noise Law: If you plan on socializing with friends at area establishments or visiting friends at their off campus house and/or apartment, we ask that you please be considerate of Village residents, especially any neighboring properties. Note: The Noise law is in effect 24 hours a day and such an offense could result in up to a $250.00 fine.
- The Village has a Urinating in Public Law: Please use the proper facilities.
- Littering is in violation of NYS and Local Laws. Please keep our community clean.
- Overnight parking is prohibited in certain areas: Over night parking is not permitted year round on Main Street from North First Street to North Seventh Street between 3:00 a.m. and 6:00a.m. Overnight parking is also prohibited on some side streets connecting with Main Street. (These areas are marked by signs.)
- From November 1 to April 1 there is no overnight parking on all Village Streets from 3:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.
- The Village has a law restricting activities occurring in the roadway and/or other public property areas. Rollerblading, skateboarding or conducting sporting activities on the sidewalk or in the roadway is prohibited. Please do not walk in the roadway, except in areas designated as a crosswalk. Sidewalks are provided throughout the village and should be used. Hitchhiking is also not permitted. These laws are strictly enforced for your protection.
- The New York State ABC Law states that no person under the age of twenty-one may possess an alcoholic beverage. The ABC Law also prohibits the sale of alcohol or to give alcohol to others without a permit. NYS ABC and Penal Law prohibit alcohol to be given or sold to any person under the age of twenty-one years old. This is a criminal offense and could result in a criminal record if convicted of such a charge.
- Persons having in their possession a false or altered ID will possibly be subject to stiff fines and or penalties for violating New York State Laws.
- The Village has a leash law - if you own a dog, the dog must be contained or on a leash at all times. Failure to do so could result in fines and confiscation of the animal. The Village also has a pooper scooper law - you must clean up after your pet.
- Property Maintenance Section 8, Furniture Used Out-of-Doors: All furniture that is used out-of-doors shall be suitable for such use, both in terms of the condition of such furniture and the purpose for which the furniture was originally intended or manufactured. Furniture used out-of-doors shall be in good repair and shall not be dilapidated. If upholstered, the springs, stuffing, frame and/or other parts of the interior materials shall not be visible. Furniture used out-of-doors shall not be in such a condition that it either harbors, or has the potential to harbor, insects, fleas, rodents, mold, bacteria, or other nuisances.
Please, if you come into the Village to socialize and find that you had "one too many", ask a friend to drive you back to campus or take the Bona Bus. The penalties for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) in New York State are continually being strengthened by the State Legislature.
The Village of Allegany is fortunate to have a very professional Police Force. We are here to protect and serve you, as well as the residents of Allegany. If we may ever be of any assistance to you, please let us know. Best wishes for a very successful academic year.
Dominic G. Papasergi
Chief of Police
Links of interest
Alcohol & Your Child Information Every Parent Should Know (pdf)
Safe Lanes on Campus / A Guide for Preventing Impaired Driving and Underage Drinking
College Parents of America | Security on Campus Inc. / Safer Campuses For Students | Travel Safety Information for Students
The Princeton Review | Questions About Fire Safety That Parents Should Ask (pdf) | College Drinking Issues
Police Related Links
Chiefs Greeting |
Police Units |
Safety & Education
Acers Schedule of Events | ACERS Photos | Police Activity/Chief's Monthly Reports to Board
Current Events/Activity | Gun Locks/Project CHILDSAFE | Safety Tips | Forms | Allegany Local Laws
Some of the forms above are in Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF) format. A free copy of Acrobat Reader may be downloaded by clicking on the following image: